Capitalize on Your Consumer’s Multichannel Behavior
Changing Brand Interactions
Are you aware that consumers’ interactions with your brand are not what they used to be? Consumers are now consuming media from multiple devices simultaneously – this is what we call ‘Multichannel Behavior.’ Shoppers talk about your brand while they watch your latest commercial, then comment on it with hashtag messages via their smartphone. It is no longer a controlled, one-on-one conversation between consumers and a brand. As a result, brands need to adapt to this new method of media consumption.
Your brand needs to understand and capitalize on the fact that your consumer and his/her peers spend about 15 hours in front of truly beloved companions such as smartphones, laptops, tablets, or even smart TVs using 63GB of data daily!
This exposure to various mediums means there is more opportunity to catch the attention of the consumers and engage them with your offer. However, their journey from one device to another is fragmented, now you have to invest in many more advertising placements than ever before.
The Second Screen
In order to understand them and multichannel behavior better, you must know how they leverage the power of their second screen:
- Consumers are multitaskers, viewing unrelated content on multiple devices simultaneously.
- This group start their journey on one device and continue it on another.
- The next-generation search and investigate related content to what they see on another device.
- Millennials interact with their social networks while they watch other media.
Don’t be scared of multichannel behavior, there are plenty of opportunities due to the following:
- Consumers do not leave the room or change the channel for a commercial break.
- Soppers watch TV in social settings.
- Despite multi-screening, ad recognition is not affected.
As the consumers change the way they gather information and switch between devices, advertisers should use the available research to both understand their consumer journeys and, more importantly, to reach them at the best moment while they are within their comfort zones.
Learn more about how the landscape is changing here.